What Do I Need to Change My Name?

Taking a Married Name? Here's What You Need for the Change

Wedding Registrar
Daniel Sheehan Photographers/Photodisc/Getty Images

If you're planning on getting married or are already married, you may choose to change your name? What do you need to change your name? What do I need to know before changing my name?

First, think about the decision. If you’re not sure about whether to change your name, you can consider the pros and cons of changing your name. The important thing to remember is to consider all your options and make a decision that satisfies you and your spouse.

Today, there are no rules, so you can truly decide for yourself what’s right for you. You should share your decision about changing your name with your spouse, in-laws, family, and friends. Some people even send out name change cards and have their business cards reprinted.

When to Change Your Name After Marriage

You cannot change your name until after you’re married because you need a marriage certificate to begin. That will come from the county or country where you’re married.

If you are planning to go abroad for your honeymoon shortly after the wedding, then you should use your maiden name to purchase your plane tickets because that is the name that will appear on your passport.

How to Change Your Name

The process of changing your name begins with the Social Security Administration, which you can reach at 1-800-772-1213. For more information on step-by-step instructions for changing your name, visit this page with instructions.

As already mentioned, the Social Security Administration should be among the first to know. It will issue a new card with your existing social security number and new name. Your Social Security number will not change.

The Social Security Administration will also inform the Internal Revenue Service of the change.

Employers must know about the name change to ensure that your tax documents reflect the name change. They can also put you in touch with the right people to change your work e-mail address. You can change your personal e-mail address on your own if necessary.

The Department of Motor Vehicle must know to change your driver’s license.

The Department of State needs to know about the change to issue you a new passport with your new name. Other avenues that need to know about your name change include credit card companies, utility companies, the U.S. Post Office, and the registrar of voting.

Once you have your new Social Security card, you can go from there to make changes where you see fit. It's a good idea to make a list of all the places that require the change, and then work your way down that list.