5 Funny Stories About People Accidentally Getting High

pakistan coast guard destroyed 8929 kgs of hashish, 61358 bottles of foreign origin alcohol 24292 t
A drug bonfire near a village is probably not a good idea. Corbis via Getty Images / Getty Images

The world is changing, and laws and viewpoints surrounding the legalization of marijuana are changing with the times. With more and more U.S. states decriminalizing and even legalizing medicinal and recreational marijuana use, people are now freer than ever to get their weeeed on. In some places, every day is 4/20, so expect more funny pot jokes and memes around the web in the coming years. Hooray for us!

In the meantime, let's take a look back at some classic viral videos and stories about people who had no intention of getting high, but then suddenly found themselves blissed out accidentally. From the BBC reporter who couldn't stop giggling to the firefighter who couldn't do anything except stare blankly into the TV camera and say, "I inhaled... so much smoke...," these are 6 of the happiest accidents you'll ever see.

of 05

BBC Reporter Quentin Sommerville Gets the Giggles

In 2014, normally straight-laced BBC correspondent Quentin Sommerville was reporting about the drug problems in Afghanistan while standing in front of a pile of burning heroin.

Wait, he was reporting while standing in front of a bonfire of drugs? Whose brilliant idea was that?

Before long, poor Quentin was struggling to get through even the simplest sentence, and you truly haven't lived a full life until you've seen a grown man trying to report the news while giggling like a little girl. This is seriously one of the funniest news bloopers of all time.

of 05

Firefighters Inhale a Lot of Smoke, Suddenly Get Munchies

Firefighters are usually pretty serious people, what with the whole "saving people's lives" thing, and all. But even the most humorless firefighter is no match for a house full of marijuana plants getting burned to the ground. In 2008 these brave folks showed up to put out a fire at a grow house, and they basically found themselves inhaling mass quantities of that sweet, sweet cannabis smoke. When the local news crew showed up to conduct their interviews, we were blessed with 10 seconds of astoundingly funny video of the fire chief staring blankly into the camera while admitting, "I inhaled... so much smoke."

of 05

Drug Bonfire Gets Entire Village High as Kites

"Just a firefighter or news report? Pshaw! That's child's play. We got a whole village high! Now who's got the s'mores?" - Indonesia.

Officials in West Jakarta, Indonesia learned the hard way that you might not want to burn a huge pile of confiscated drugs in the middle of a field on a windy day. In October 2015, officials did just that, piling up tons of marijuana, crystal meth, Ecstasy and other goodies into a field, inadvertently getting an entire village of people high as a kite.

Reporters and villagers all reported feeling dizzy, getting headaches, and then tripping out and basically feeling pretty damn amazing. Just your average Tuesday afternoon!

It's no surprise that there's no video for this story because officials probably wanted to pretend this incident never happened. Also, the news reporters on the scene were most likely way too buzzed to do their jobs.

of 05

CNN - Cannabis News Network?

CNN reporter Randi Kaye was reporting on the legalization of recreational pot for CNN's "Gone to Pot" series when she got serious contact high. While she was sitting in a limousine interviewing a "pot entrepreneur" called "Grandma Barbara," several large joints were passed around in Randi's presence. She then climbed out of the hot-boxed limo, which probably looked a little bit like that scene in Fast Times at Ridgemont High where Jeff Spicoli and his friends fall out of a VW bus amid clouds of smoke, and went on live TV to talk about her experience with Anderson Cooper.

In other news, apparently "pot entrepreneur" is a thing you can be. Where might I fill out a job application? (Asking for a friend.)

of 05

Redditor Gets Entire Family High

A Redditor who has since deleted his account (wonder why), posted a much-updated viral thread in r/trees about how his mother mistakenly used his cannabutter in a chicken dish eaten by his entire family. She somehow thought it was vegan butter, but it was actually infused with a very special kind of herb.

Reading his descriptions of how each family member reacted is gold. Reddit gold.

Be careful out there, people! Or don't; I'm not your mom. Have fun.