Child Custody in Alaska

windy day with dad
Image taken by Mayte Torres / Getty Images

In Alaska, a child custody order is based on the best interests of the child. Parents who wish to file for child custody in Alaska should first become familiar with the child custody laws of this state.

Factors Considered Before Awarding Child Custody in Alaska

Upon divorce, a court in Alaska will grant custody of the children of the marriage to either parent, considering the following factors:

  • The age and gender of the children
  • The moral character of the parents

Prior to a custody determination, a court in Alaska will make a temporary custody determination, based on the safety and well-being of the children.

Joint Child Custody in Alaska

An Alaskan court will always consider joint custody or any other custody arrangement that is in the best interests of the children. When making a determination for joint custody, the court will consider the following factors:

  • Each parent's agreement or lack of agreement regarding joint custody
  • Any history of child abuse, spousal abuse, or kidnapping
  • Each parent's willingness to encourage a loving and meaningful relationship with his/her co-parent
  • The geographical proximity of the parents to each other, as it relates to joint physical custody
  • Each parent's ability to cooperate with one another and make decisions together

A family court in Alaska will order joint custody without the consent of the parents if it's in the best interests of the child.

Domestic Violence and Child Custody in Alaska

In Alaska, a court will consider a finding of domestic violence against a parent, in a child custody proceeding. Primarily, the court will consider the following factors when making a child custody determination:

  • The safety and well-being of the children and of the parent who is the victim of the domestic violence
  • The extent of the perpetrator's history of domestic violence

For more information about child custody in Alaska, refer to the Alaska Domestic Relations statute or speak with a qualified attorney in Alaska.